WEST THURSTON REGIONAL FIRE AUTHORITY
10828 Littlerock Rd SW Olympia WA 98512
Phone 360.352.1614 Fax 360.352.1696
West Thurston Regional Fire Authority (WTRFA) is recruiting for a full-time Fire Chief with a strong passion for serving the community and the WTRFA organization. WTRFA is located just south of Olympia, Washington. The 158 square mile response zone stretches approximately 12 miles east and west along Interstate Five from the city limits of Tumwater to the Lewis County Line. WTRFA delivers comprehensive emergency services including Fire Protection, Rescue and Emergency Medical Services and Patient Transport, serving approximately 30,000 residents in the communities of Bordeaux, Delphi, Gate, Grand Mound, Littlerock, Maytown, Michigan Hill, Rochester and Scott Lake. The diverse service area includes industrial, commercial, residential, and forest land. WTRFA delivers exceptional service with state-of-the art fire, rescue and emergency medical apparatus and equipment through 50 exceptional professionals both career (30) and volunteer (20). Our proud professionals respond to an average of 3,000 emergency 911 service calls each year.
Salary Range: $132,744 - $156,000 DOQ along with a comprehensive medical/dental/vision package, deferred compensation match, retirement contributions, longevity incentive pay and a generous paid time off package. This is a non-represented exempt position and acts at the direction of the Board of Fire Commissioners.
Examples of Duties:
The authority of the Fire Chief shall include, but not be limited to, overall management, administration, leadership and direction of the WTRFA; suggesting new hires, management, disciplining, and suggesting discharge/termination of WTRFA employees and volunteers; the execution, enforcement and administration of WTRFA policies, rules, regulations and general orders; providing policy advice to the elected six-member Board of Fire Commissioners, and maintaining ongoing communication with the community.
Tentative Timeline of Events (subject to change):
Applications open: November 28, 2022
Applications close: December 16, 2022
Notifications by: December 23, 2022
Staff Interviews: January 3 – 6, 2023
Board Interviews: January 9-13, 2023
Desirable Starting Date: February 1, 2023
Required Education and Experience:
• A minimum of eight (8) years full-time experience with a paid or combination fire department.
• Five to seven years’ experience in a senior level fire service capacity in a department of similar size.
• A bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Fire Science, Emergency Services Management, Business Management, or closely related field.
• IFSAC Firefighter 1, 2 and Fire Officer 1.
• Extensive experience with EMS and structural/wildland interface fire suppression.
• Valid Washington State driver’s license with good driving history.
• Current Washington State Emergency Medical Technician and Thurston County Medic One protocol certification (required to obtain within 3 months of appointment).
• Blue Card certified within one year of appointment.
• Appropriate experience may substitute for all or part of the education requirements.
• Completion or enrolled in the National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer program, or other certificated managerial training programs.
• Chief Fire Officer designation from The Center for Public Safety Excellence
• Knowledge of government finance specific to property tax levies, benefit charges, and bond issues, with strong financial strategy skills for long-term sustainability
• Proven experience in interagency coordination with structural and wildland protection agencies.
• Proven political sensitivity and experience working with districts, cities, counties and other
WTRFA is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, non-job-related disability, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.