Certified Medical AssistantWashington Gastroenterology
Washington Gastroenterology's Gastroenterology Associates Division is seeking a Full Time Certified Medical Assistant for our Olympia location.
Position Summary: This position is responsible for assisting with patient care through office visits, telephone contact and written follow-up under the guidance of the Washington Gastroenterology provider(s) and in accordance with Washington Gastroenterology policies and procedures and state and federal laws. Responsibilities include providing optimal patient care with positive outcomes while observing cost containment and safety issues.
1. 70% - Assumes active role in supporting Washington Gastroenterology provider(s) with patient office visits, patient teaching, office procedures, telephone calls/portal communications, lab, x-ray pathology and other testing results, recalls, and related charting, chart reviews and paperwork. Includes clinical data entry.
2. 20% - Participates in daily operational duties including (but not limited to): inventory and stocking of daily supplies; equipment set-up, take-down, and cleaning; completing daily equipment/disinfection logs and monthly medication out date checks.
3. l0% - Assists other staff as directed. Participates in quality assurance projects and staff in-services and meetings.
1.Responsible for working within scope of practice for his/her certification according to WA State law.
2.Provides patient care under the supervision of the Washington Gastroenterology provider. Conducts a thorough records review prior to appointment. Greets patients, obtains and records vital signs, medications, allergies, and other pertinent patient history in electronic medical record (EMR). Explains provider discharge instructions and answers basic questions regarding plan. Maintains timely flow of patients.
3.Prepares and maintains examination and treatment areas, prepares patients for and assists with routine and specialty examinations, procedures, specimen collection, and treatments. Observes and reports patient signs or symptoms. Answers basic questions. Maintains working knowledge of cleaning, disinfection, maintenance, and troubleshooting of equipment and instruments.
4.Assists with tasks and follow-up on test results as delegated by Washington Gastroenterology providers and/or Clinical or other Manager. Accurately and promptly implements Washington Gastroenterology provider orders, process letters and enters recall information.
5.Responds to and refers incoming telephone calls. Gathers information and reports patient' signs or symptoms to provider for further instruction and charts information. Instructs patient and family regarding medications and treatment. Oversees appointment bookings and communicates with triage nurse for urgent appointments.
6.Arranges patient testing and hospital admissions, as directed by a Washington Gastroenterology provider.
7.Responsible for daily operation, maintenance and stocking of exam rooms, flexible sigmoidoscopy room and storage areas. Responsible for equipment set-up, take-down and disinfection. Maintains work environment in neat and orderly manner.
8.Monitors and documents medication refrigerator temperature and oxygen tank supply on a daily basis, as assigned.
9.Administers medications pursuant to a written order and permitted by certification. Observes, records, and reports patient's condition and reaction to medications to Washington Gastroenterology provider.
10.Identifies and accompanies pharmaceutical and equipment representatives while they visit Washington Gastroenterology.
11.Observes Standard Precautions. 12.Maintains working knowledge of hazardous materials in the workplace, (including patient bodily fluids and specimens as well as chemicals). Is familiar with location and use of MSDS book and is proactive in preventing personal, patient and staff exposure to hazardous materials.
13.Participates in safety and Quality Assessment Performance Improvement (QAPI) programs, notifies supervisor of safety issues promptly and makes suggestions for QAPI studies. Makes judgments and takes appropriate action regarding safety issues.
14.Maintains patient's right to privacy while providing safe, high quality, empathetic and appropriate nursing care. Observes HIPAA guidelines regarding protected health information.
15.Sets a good example for coworkers in all aspects of performance. Strives to maintain and improve cohesiveness and teamwork throughout the practice. Models and encourages behavior consistent with Washington Gastroenterology Mission Statement.
16.Responsible for seeking educational opportunities related to position. Accepts responsibility for professional growth and development. Participates in appropriate staff in services and staff meetings. Participates in annual WISHA and HIP AA training. Maintains WA State Medical Assistant-Certified Certification. Maintains Basic Life Support Certification.
17.Participates in preceptorship, orienting and mentoring of other staff members.
18.Keeps resource manual up-to-date.
19.Other duties may be assigned by department leads, managers or health care providers to promote efficiency and enhance customer service.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English clearly as well as understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Satisfactorily complete a medical assistant training program approved by the WA State Department of Health (DOH).
- Pass an examination approved by the DOH within five years of submitting an initial application, if applicable.
- Current WA State Medical Assistant Certification Knowledge and understanding of WA state laws and rules regulating Medical Assistants.
- Maintains current Basic Life Support Certification. Competent computer skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Recent medical office experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED):
- Required Graduate of Medical Assisting program:
- Required Experience: 1-2 years in a medical setting and/or prior experience in an OR/GI Endoscopy setting.
Certifications & Licenses:
- Current license as an MA-C in the state of Washington Current CPR certification
- Ability to operate a computer, fax machine, and multi-line phone Ability to learn and utilize health management information software Previous experience with Microsoft applications - Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.
- Previous experience in a medical/surgical nursing or clinical setting preferred.
Our goal is to deliver and maintain the highest quality medical care in the field of gastroenterology and to do so efficiently, compassionately and courteously. Because our staff take such great care of our patients, it is important that we take care of our staff.
Washington Gastroenterology has an excellent benefit package that includes the following: Medical, Dental, Vision Prescription coverage with a small employee contribution Life Insurance Long Term Disability Tuition Reimbursement 401(k) retirement program with profit sharing Paid Time Off - 4 weeks in your first year Monday - Friday Schedule with no evenings Closed for major holidays