About Thurston PUD
Established in 1938, Thurston PUD is a special-purpose municipal agency located in Lacey, WA. We
currently own and operate 279 water systems, serving approximately 9,704 families, businesses, schools,
and parks. Thurston PUD provides water planning and utility services to the citizens of Thurston County,
and also own and operate water systems in Pierce and Lewis counties, one water system in King County,
and a few water systems in Grays Harbor and Kitsap counties. The PUD is governed by three
Commissioners, elected by the voters of Thurston County and elected to serve for six years. The
Commissioners represent the three PUD Commission districts in Thurston County.
The District offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental,
vision, group term life insurance, short- and long-term disability coverage, State of Washington PERS
401(a) retirement plan participation, deferred compensation plans, a monthly commute trip reduction
Vaccination is required for COVID-19 and other COVID variations upon hire, or begin the
vaccination process within two weeks of hire and be fully vaccinated within 45 days of hire,
and booster vaccinations as required by the District. Public Utility District No. 1 of Thurston County
(Thurston PUD) is actively recruiting for one (1) full-time Laborer I position. This is a permanent position.
The Laborer will perform a broad range of manual and technical labor in keeping PUD-owned water
systems in operational order.
Ground maintenance including the use of lawn mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, pressure washers and
• Desire and ability to work hard in outside weather.
• Ability to perform skilled labor.
• Provide manual labor to support field staff including, but not limited to digging, installing water
meters and carrying up to 75 lbs.
• Operate work trucks in picking up and delivering materials or supplies, and collecting and
removing debris as assigned.
Position: Laborer I
Pay Range: $3,601 - $4,600 Monthly ($20.78 - $26.54 Hourly) DOQ
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Department: Field Operations
Location: Tumwater, WA
Reports to: Director of Field Operations
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
• As directed, perform facilities maintenance, pressure washing and painting.
• Proficiently and safely operate all assigned equipment and vehicles to perform operations within
the capacity of the machine to accomplish required work.
• Work in accordance with District and generally accepted industry safety practices.
• Responsible for keeping vehicle and equipment clean and in good working order.
• Meter installation, meter box resetting/replacement.
• Understand the concept of “basic plumbing” such as turning off a water valve to stop water to
perform basic plumbing tasks like swapping out a meter or changing a gasket.
• Responsible for ice and snow removal including monitoring the weather forecast, and coming-in
early and on weekends and holidays prior to normal hours and salting, shoveling and plowing in
a self-directed manner.
• Must possess excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
• Must be team oriented.
• Must be able to work under pressure, handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Must be able to deal with irate or disgruntled individuals that will require the use of conflict
• Must be innovative and have the ability to explore new techniques.
• Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and
the general public.
• Ability and willingness to be on call, and work if needed during evenings, weekends and on
• Must have the ability to work in small spaces for extended periods of time.
• Must have the ability to drive up to 250 miles or more a day and frequently enter and exit a vehicle
and walk, up to a mile, on uneven, steep or marshy terrain.
• Must be able to work dexterously using multiple hand and power tools for extended periods of
• Must be able to work standing, sitting or lying down for extended periods of time in all types of
weather and temperatures.
• Must maintain a safe driving record and be able to serve as the primary operator of a District
• Other duties as required.
Required/Desired Education, Experience, and Abilities
• High school diploma or GED, or ability to acquire one.
• Prior experience in laborer positions and/or with water systems is highly desired.
• First Aid certification.
• Valid Washington State Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the PUD’s insurance
Work is primarily performed outdoors in all weather conditions in a field environment. Laborer may travel
from site to site. Exposure to extreme temperatures, adverse weather conditions, excessive noise, high
voltage, toxic chemicals and other hazards is possible. Laborer may also be required to work near moving
Position requires the ability to stand, walk, bend for extended periods of time; position also requires the
ability to lift up to 75 pounds. Position requires employee to perform simple grasping and fine
manipulation, use telephone, and write and/or use a keyboard to communicate through written means,
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, the
ability to adjust focus and the ability to distinguish between shades of color. The noise level in the work
environment is usually moderate.
To be considered for this position, please complete an employment application which can be found on
the PUD’s website at www.ThurstonPUD.com, and submit a resume and supplemental questionnaire.
Please email your completed application packet to HR@thurstonpud.org or mail your application packet
1230 Ruddell Road SE
Lacey, WA 98503
You can also drop applications off to the address listed above. This position is open until filled. We will
begin reviewing applications in early January. All application materials must be received by Friday, January
14, 2022 to be considered during the first review of applicants.
For questions or other information related to this recruitment, please contact Administrative Services
Manager Ruth Clemens at (360) 515-6618. Prior to employment, a criminal history background check and
reference checks will be conducted on the top candidates. The District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
and maintains policies for a drug-free and smoke-free work environment.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and
responsibilities to this job at any time. Thurston PUD believes that each employee makes a significant
contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. This
position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit our
employees nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will
offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of the District.