News InternThe Olympian
Join us in the summer as a paid intern and gain practical education, professional experience and have a great time working alongside reporters in our newsroom. You’ll leave with clips that will help you get a job in the field.
Our company: The Olympian is one of 30 news organizations in the McClatchy Company. We’re a Puget Sound news and information company, with our newspaper, website (theolympian.com) and other products on different delivery platforms.
We primarily serve Thurston County, focusing on state and local government, the local economy from housing to businesses, and the issues that have people talking, as well as breaking news. We are an award-winning organization with a reputation for accuracy, fairness, credibility and civic purpose. Our community involvement touches readers. Our news imperatives bring them information fast and truthfully.
The summer internship/core mission: Our goals are many. First is to educate and train aspiring journalists in the principles and rigors of their desired profession. Second is to bring new voices to our newsroom to give us fresh perspectives. Third is to put you to work – you will write stories, shoot photos and make videos.
The program/supervision/support: Our interns are vital and we value them. The program works this way:
- Internships are 12 weeks, 37. 5 hours per week, and interns earn $12 an hour. Schedule could include weekend hours.
- Interns learn how to cover local news, features and business both quickly and deeply.
- Interns learn how to promote their work on social media to reach as many interested readers as possible.
Send resume and clips to Dusti Demarest at firstname.lastname@example.org. Email and attachments preferred. Include links to stories, personal websites, resume, and portfolio, if available. Put “internship application” in the subject field.
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and well;
- Solid news judgment;
- Drive, with an instinctive grasp of what will engage an audience;
- A deep grasp of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms;
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, good curiosity and high energy;
- A collaborative style;
- Comfort with shooting photos;
- A familiarity with entry-level video editing platforms is preferred.