Squaxin Island Tribe
Job Title: Physician Assistant
Department: Health Clinic
Reports To: HHS Director
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
TS Range: 13/14 ($48.51)
Opening Date: December 17, 2021
Closing Date: January 11, 2022
SUMMARY: This position serves as provider within the medical primary care team. This is a full time position providing direct patient care involving interpretation of findings on the basis of general medical knowledge. This position requires a practice agreement with a physician on staff. This position works in accordance with the rules and regulations governing Medical Physicians Assistants in the State of Washington. Routine duties shall include providing medical care and public health services to individuals in homes, schools, clinics, job sites, and other community locations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Subject to the supervision of authorized specialist, examines patients and diagnoses illnesses.
- Recommends and administers routine medical treatment, facilitates referrals when appropriate.
- Implements treatment plans.
- Provide patient education and health promotion methods.
- Assists in follow up care of complex cases including future examination, diagnosis and treatment.
- Orders, analyzes and delivers results of diagnostic testing and procedures.
- Prescribes medication and monitors patients’ medication.
- Performs house calls and/or hospital visits and reports on condition and progress of patient as needed.
- Assist in instructing and supervising nursing staff, technicians, and personnel assigned for special training.
- Attends and participates in clinics and staff conferences on surgical, medical and mental conditions, diagnosis and treatment.
- Maintains continuing education as specified by license.
- Provides routine vision screening as part of physical examinations.
- Documents patient progress in electronic health record.
- Gathers patient medical history and medication list
- Provides support and consultation to the purchased and referred care program
- Works in an integrated care approach to include mental health, substance use disorders, and dental services.
- Participates in meetings with other Tribal programs as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position does not have any supervisory authority.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Masters Degree and 5 years’ experience providing patient care in a family practice setting.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries and complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups and/or boards of Directors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic, equations and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
REASONING ABILITY: Must understand the ethical implications and patient confidentiality issues involved in this line of work, particularly in a small community. Must understand and accept his/her relationship to patients and other licensed health care practitioners. Must understand that his/her provision of health care services take place in a professional, warm, friendly, non-biased environment. Must have the ability to work with and relate to individuals from various socio-economic backgrounds.
Ability to define problems, collect data establishes facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Graduation from a Physicians Assistant Training Program Approved by the Washington State board of Medical Examiners and Certification as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physicians Assistants is required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individual must have adequate physical ability to perform the required health care services, including the following: standing, using hands to finger, handle, or feel, reaching with hands and arms, and talking and hearing on a regular basis; frequently walking and occasionally sitting, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, or tasting or smelling. The individual may also have to frequently lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift 50 - 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level for this work environment is generally moderate. Individual may occasionally work near moving mechanical parts, be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals or electrical shock. Safety requirements include the handling of infections disease cases and the handling and disposal of bio-hazardous materials.
DRUG FREE WORKPLACE: The successful candidate will be required to have a urinalysis for drug and alcohol screening in accordance with the Tribe’s Drug Free Workplace Policy.
INDIAN PREFERENCE: Indian Preference will be exercised in the hiring of this position in accordance with the Tribe’s Personnel Policies.
CONTACT: Human Resources Department (360) 426-9781.