Health Information Technology Specialist
Squaxin Island Tribe
Job Title: Health Information Technology Specialist
Department: Health Services
Reports to: Operations Manager, Joanne Perry
FLSA Status: Exempt
TS Range: 10/11
Opening Date: September 2, 2022
Closing Date: September 19, 2022
POSITION SUMMARY: This service oriented position performs network management and administration functions. This position is responsible for the management and organization of the Squaxin Island Tribe (SIT) Health & Human Services (HHS) department’s medical records and databases, and the maintenance and use of the computer systems used in daily operations of the clinic. The position will handle troubleshooting and use training. They will also serve as a first point of contact for HHS staff having difficulties with their computers or with using the electronic medical records programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Proficiency with deploying computer hardware, software, networking, and other networked devices are essential skills.
- Plan, define, design, develop, coordinate, and implement data communication systems
- Troubleshoot/problem solve; must be able to quickly and correctly diagnose/correct problem and communicate the solution to either co-workers or end-users effectively
- Read technical documents, and write technical guides for other IT personnel and end users.
- Maintain records and prepare periodic and special reports of work performed
- Server health and maintenance which may include troubleshooting, installing updates, monitoring, and log analysis.
- Develop technology plans and strategies including standards and capacity planning
- Validate new technologies proposed for use and meet with vendors to hold product demonstration
- Recommend solutions to difficult security problems in existing and developing systems.
- Maintain local area network hardware and software including servers, peripherals, network nodes, terminals and wiring.
- Evaluates local area network hardware and software requirements and capabilities and makes recommendations.
- Coordinates third-party maintenance for network hardware, software and telecommunications services
- Works with Clinical Applications Coordinator to ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance for medical records as needed
- Assist with the computer applications coordinator that required reports to the Indian Health Service (IHS) and other stakeholders are collected and transmitted in a timely fashion
- Ensure compliance with confidentiality laws and regulations
- Interact with Information Services (IS) staff to communicate the clinic’s needs and ensure compliance with SIT requirements and compatibility with SIT systems where required
- Resolve assigned helpdesk tickets from clinic staff
- Other duties may be assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position has no supervisory responsibilities
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated professional ethics and integrity;
- Protects all aspects of client information and maintains professional boundaries;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work cooperatively with Tribal community;
- Ability to forge productive relationships with consultants and external partners;
- Extremely proficient in the use of the computer, Microsoft Word, Excel;
- Collect data accurately and in a timely manner;
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: : MA and two years experience as a network administrator or related field; OR BA and four years experience as network administrator or related field; OR AA and six years as network administrator or related field; OR High School Diploma/GED and eight years experience as network administrator or related field. Experience in a medical/clinic setting will be prioritized over comparable environments.
Must have knowledge of and be proficient in operating systems and applications, with knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server 2008, 2012, and 2016; and be willing to learn about the Indian Health Services RPMS and its specific methods of network communication. Knowledge of SQL a plus. Knowledge of Office 365 a plus.
Must have strong demonstrated grasp of network security, appliances, infrastructure and concepts.
Must have knowledge of (system/network) troubleshooting and problem solving, must be able to quickly and correctly diagnose problems and know how best to fix it and communicate the solution to either co-workers or end-users effectively.
The successful applicant must be able to communicate effectively; work effectively independently or cooperatively; maintain confidentiality; be self-directed, approachable, and self-motivated to complete all tasks responsibly.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of algebra and geometry.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid Washington State Driver’s License; proof of insurance. Microsoft Certifications or equivalent a plus. CISSP, CCNA certification a plus. CompTIA A+, Security+ certification a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear; the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision and peripheral vision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will occasionally work near moving mechanical parts, in outdoor weather conditions, run the risk of electrical shock and radiation. The noise level for this position is generally moderate.
DRUG FREE WORKPLACE: The successful candidate will be required to have a urinalysis for drug and alcohol screening in accordance with the Tribe’s Drug Free Workplace Policy.
INDIAN PREFERENCE: Indian Preference will be exercised in the hiring of this position in accordance with the Tribe’s Personnel Policies.
TO APPLY: Submit application packets including a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Contact Human Resources for more information: 360-432-3865.