Office/Activities and Events Assistant (Pierce County)South Puget Intertribal Planning Agency
Office/Activities and Events Assistant
Department: Workforce Development (WFD)
Reports to: WFD Program Assistant
F.L.S.A. Classification: Non-Exempt
Position Summary: The Office/Activities and Events Assistant is the first point of contact for SPIPA’s Workforce Development clients/customers. The Office/Activities and Events Assistant is responsible for demonstrating the Mission, Vision, and Core Values set by the SPIPA Board. This means providing exceptional customer service to the Tribes, families, and communities that SPIPA serves. The Office/Activities and Events is expected to understand TANF policies and procedures and assess basic eligibility requirements for application to this program. The Office/Activities and Events Assistant reports directly to the Program Assistant and serves as the front line contact on behalf of the Pierce County and Kitsap County TANF site staff with the public via telephone and in person reception. The Office/Activities and Events Assistant performs routine clerical duties and assignments that support TANF program staff. This full-time position is located in Tacoma, WA and is teamed with other Workforce Development TANF program staff to ensure the responsive and timely delivery of client services.
While serving as role model of excellent and exemplary client service:
- Meet and greet customers/guests, staff, vendors, and other business people; responding to inquiries and routing customers and vendors to the right person.
- Cheerfully answer multi-line telephones. Route messages in a timely and accurate manner.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with staff and vendors to coordinate workshops/classes, maintain workshop/class schedule and sign-up sheets, and accurately enter attendees into the TAS system software.
- Receive guests of the TANF Site in a polite, friendly, and helpful manner that responds to inquiries regarding SPIPA TANF procedures and services.
- Receive, sort, and transmit information and documents on behalf of the site and ensure they are distributed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Prepare, process, monitor, and track to conclusion documents such as reports, purchase requisitions, purchase orders and similar. Follow established policies and procedures.
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail, including routing, stamping, and logging incoming and outgoing mail, bulk mail, and electronic mail.
- Monitor inventory, replenish as needed general office supplies.
- Provide clerical and administrative support in a collaborative setting ensuring efficient, accurate, and timely completion of assigned duties.
- Assist in maintenance of site files database(s) within established procedures and processes.
- Operate office equipment such as computer, calculator, postage machine, copier, and fax.
- Maintain daily communication with staff members, including location of staff on a day-to-day basis. Assist in scheduling locations and amenities for staff meeting needs.
- Support all TANF and SPIPA staff in planning and implementing client activities and events.
- Coordinate the purchase of all supplies needed for activities and events.
- Prepare Purchase Orders and Check Requests for activities and events; maintain file of expenditures.
- Oversee inventory of all proposal events.
- Process all incentives and track attendance in TAS for site events and activities.
- Coordinate and arrange event location, guest lists, food service arrangements, menu planning, decorative and table/room set-up and cleanup.
- Responsible for room set-up and cleanup for all events, meetings and activities.
- Notify clients of activities and events via telephone, email, mailings or other media.
- Promote activities internally and externally; provide updates to Case Managers and other TANF staff regarding planned events and activities.
- Work with Transportation/Activities Assistants to use Projects/Benefit module in TAS to assist in tracking attendance and processing purchase requisitions and incentives for events.
- Coordinate and schedule with SPIPA GSA vehicle representative for vehicle maintenance and repair, as needed.
- Establish and maintain, as directed and authorized, transportation mileage activity logs/sheets.
- Keep accurate transportation schedule and participation records; produce written and/or oral reports as needed or requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Office/Activities and Events Assistant, as an employee of the South Puget Intertribal Planning Agency, is expected to collaborate, engage, and work closely with all SPIPA programs to fully support the agency’s Vision, Mission, and Core Values in accordance with all agency directives.
- High school diploma or a GED.
- One year demonstrated work experience in office clerical and administrative support.
- Demonstrate excellent communications skills including composing/editing of written correspondence as well as active listening skills.
- Willingness to learn and adhere to SPIPA core values when carrying out all SPIPA work.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License and private automobile insurance.
- Proven record of maintaining confidentiality.
- Prior experience working or living in a Native American Community preferred.
- Work collaboratively with all SPIPA employees to actively promote a team environment.
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to report to work on time and attend work from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with minimal absences.
- Candidates must pass a background investigation, including relevant criminal history, and drug screen.
Physical Abilities: Bending at the waist; sitting for extended periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard; hearing and speaking to exchange information; seeing to read reports and data; occasionally lifting medium objects generally less than 25 pounds. Occasional travel to other SPIPA or Intertribal TANF locations.
Salary/Fringe Benefits: Compensation for this position has a range of $17.99 - $20.06 hourly (37.5 hours weekly). Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance and agency contribution to a retirement program.
Confidentiality: This position may have knowledge of confidential personal information regarding others. The employee will be required to sign a Confidentiality Agreement.
Equal Opportunity: SPIPA is an equal opportunity employer. However, Native American preference applies in that we seek to hire qualified enrolled members of SPIPA consortium Tribes, federally recognized Tribes or Alaskan Natives. Minimum qualifications must be fully met for all applicants to be considered for employment.
Drug-Free Workplace: SPIPA is committed to providing a drug-free workplace for its employees, volunteers and the community it serves. Requires successful completion of a pre-employment drug test.
To Apply: Complete a SPIPA Employment Application packet and send with cover letter stating why you believe your qualifications make you the best fit for this position and resume including three work related references to:
Dolly Garcia - Human Resources Manager
South Puget Intertribal Planning Agency
3104 SE Old Olympic Hwy
Shelton, WA 98584
SPIPA Employment application is available online at http://www.spipa.org under Agency & Job Opportunities or by calling (360) 426-3990
Application screening will begin, December 3rd, 2018.
Open until filled