Finfish TechnicianSkokomish Indian Tribe
POSITION TITLE: FINFISH TECHNICIAN
SUPERVISOR: SALMON/STEELHEAD BIOLOGIST
SALARY RANGE: $30,000 TO $35,000 DOQ
NATURE OF WORK: This position provides technical assistance to finfish program
manager and biologists. During April through July, the individual will assist with a longterm
steelhead supplementation project to be conducted within the Hood Canal. The
individual will also assist with projects being conducted by other Tribal biologists;
specifically, he or she will assist with estuary sampling and salmon spawner surveys.
REPRESENTATIVE JOB DUTIES:
1. Conduct and participate in estuary monitoring
2. Parr and smolt collections
3. Salmon/Steelhead redd surveys
4. Smolt trap installation and removal
5. Redd pumping
6. Transporting of eggs and fry to Tacoma Power fish hatchery
7. Water quality analysis
8. Salmon pre-smolt abundance estimates, snorkel surveys, and backpack electrofishing
9. CWT sampling on the salmon spawning grounds
10. Data tabulation and analysis
11. Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS ALSO INCLUDE:
1. A two-year degree in biology or related field; or a high school diploma and two
years of relevant work experience.
2. Must be physically fit and able to carry out demanding work in rugged terrain, in
all weather conditions and on the water
3. Experience with handheld GPS units
4. Able to maintain accurate data and records.
5. Ability to identify fish species
6. Prior experience with small boat operations
7. Familiarity with Skokomish fishing areas and Treaty rights
8. Candidate must have a valid driver’s license and be eligible for the Tribe’s
9. Must be able to work in a team environment.
10. Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills preferred.
11. The selected candidate must successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen
test, and a complete background investigation, including relevant criminal history,
prior to employment.
Behavior standards: Respectful, courteous, and friendly to customers, other tribal employees, and tribal
leaders. A team player that helps the organization meet its objectives. Takes initiative to meet work
objectives. Effective communications with customers and other tribal employees. Gets along with coworkers
and managers. Positively represents the tribe maintaining the trust Skokomish residents have place
in each of us. Demonstrates honesty and ethical behavior.
CONFIDENTIALITY: The employee will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement. Violation of
this agreement can result in immediate dismissal.
DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE POLICY: The Skokomish Tribe is committed to providing a drug-free
workplace for its employees, volunteers and the community it serves. By Skokomish Tribal policy, this
position requires pre-employment drug testing.
PREFERENCE: The Skokomish Tribe’s Indian Preference Policy applies to this position. First
preference will be given to qualified, enrolled Skokomish tribal members. Second preference will be given
to qualified Native American applicants who provide proof of enrollment in a federally recognized tribe.
Applicants not entitled to, or who fail to claim Indian Preference, will receive consideration without regard
to ethnic/national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, disability status, or membership in the
This position is at will and does not create a contractual relationship between the tribe and the employee.
Application must be filled in completely (Do not write see resume). APPLICATIONS THAT ARE NOT COMPLETELY FILLED OUT and TURNED IN BEFORE
CLOSING DATE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
NOTE: Resumes and Cover Letters are only accepted in support of the application