Registered NurseSaint Martin's University
Clinic Registered Nurse
Closing date: December 8, 2017
Position title: Clinic Registered Nurse
Job Class: Non Exempt, benefit eligible
Assigned Shift: 24 hours per week, 10 months (June, July & part of August off)
The Student Health Center Nurse works with students to promote health and wellness while also educating them about the importance of a healthy lifestyle.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Room patients (take vitals and chief complaints, perform review of systems, as well as reviewing past medical, family, and social histories). Assist provider during procedures.
- Perform in-house diagnostic testing such as urinalysis, finger stick glucose testing and urine hcgs as needed. Blood draws as ordered by provider.
- Order clinic supplies and medications, check inventory, and perform monthly quality assurance. Review inventory and discard expired medications, supplies etc.
- Triage Walk–ins and help with answering phone calls. Perform CPR and use AED if needed in urgent/emergent situations that arise in or close to the SHC.
- Arrange referrals to specialty providers and radiology.
- Obtain Insurance prior authorizations for referrals, labs and imaging.
- Administer vaccines and injectable meds. Perform TB skin testing as needed.
- Assist with prescription refills when needed.
- Program planning working in collaboration with various student services departments.
- Arrange steri-cycle and lab pick-ups.
- Assist with patient education about various topics and perform other related duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by medical director, including immunization compliance.
- Renders nursing care consistent with the patient’s bill of rights: (i.e. confidentiality of information, privacy, etc.) Stays apprised of current policies, legal and ethical issues in advising, transfer and higher education including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), HIPPA and other relevant local state and federal educational, nursing and health care laws.
- Provide learning to students eighteen (18) years of age and older. Develops health education plan based on assessed and anticipated needs. Considers nature of learner in relation to: social, cultural, political, economic, educational and religious factors.
- Establishes rapport with client, significant others and members of the health team. Creates trust and confidence.
- Actively contributes to a work environment that embraces diversity and uses diverse perspectives to enhance the attainment of organizational goals.
- Is comfortable with multi-tasking with self-motivating ability that demonstrates strong organizational skills.
- Establishes collaborative relationship with colleagues and other members of the health team.
- Composes letters, memos, emails, spreadsheets, reports and other written documents with clearly organized thoughts, proper sentence construction, punctuation and grammar.
- Carefully inputs data and prepares documents accurately and reviews all work before submission.
- Promotes safety and comfort and privacy of clients.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for own decision and actions.
- Must be supportive of the Catholic Benedictine philosophy of education.
Conditions of employment
- Moves and carrying objects (less than 20 pounds) short distances (less than 20 feet).
- Ability to be mobile campus wide for appropriate business needs.
- Operates a variety of standard office equipment requiring continuous or repetitive arm-hand movements.
- Reading, writing, speaking, hearing, standing, walking, bending, sitting.
- Learning and comprehending.
- Requires visual concentration on detail.
- Manual dexterity and precision required for keyboarding. Repetitive hand movement required for grasping and fine manipulation, for patient care, including preparation and administration of injections.
- Depth perception: Required for fine task such as administering injections, sterile catheter insertions (urinary, IV), nasogastric tube insertions.
- Fine motor skills: Must have fine motor skills of all fingers and be able to grasp and control medical equipment and to perform precise procedures such as sterile dressing change. Must be able to grasp objects such as a pen to prepare handwritten reports.
- Tactile sensation: Must be able to assess patients through palpation with fingers and hand; must be able to distinguish warm/cold and be able to feel vibrations.
- Smell: Must have normal sense of smell to detect odors indicating unsafe conditions or changing patient status.
- May occasionally be required to deal with distraught people.
- Must be able to concentrate on details and process complex information while experiencing frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with people at all levels under stressful conditions.
- Minimum of Associates Degree (2-year program) in Nursing. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Licensure as a Registered Nurse.
- Maintains current CPR for health care professional certification.
- Two (2) years of nursing experience.
- Demonstrated experience with (relational) databases, spreadsheets, and word processing software.
- Successfully pass background check.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit the following to Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application of employment. (MS Word Version)
- Cover letter specifying interest and how their background has prepared you for this position.
- Current resume.
As part of our recruiting and hiring process, Saint Martin’s University requires final candidates to prepare a brief statement (no more than one page) which highlights how the candidate’s work experience and background will contribute to our Catholic Benedictine mission and vision of Saint Martin’s University. To better understand the Catholic, Benedictine values in an educational environment, we are providing a link to a well-written article on the subject: http://www.osb.org/acad/benval1.html . Please bring the statement with you and give it to the search/interview committee.
For additional Information and instructions on how to apply: https://www.stmartin.edu/directory/office-human-resources