Equipment Operator IMason County Public Works Department
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR I
Public Works Road Maintenance Shop
(Belfair) Posting # 18-58
MASON COUNTY EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Note: External posting for the public is concurrent with internal posting for the Teamsters Operating Engineers
Union; therefore, if a qualified applicant applies from within the bargaining unit that person could be selected for
Opening Date: November 19, 2018 Open Until Filled First Review Date: December 3, 2018
Department: Public Works Hourly Wage: $21.59 - $25.84 (Note: an additional $2.00 per hour is paid into Operators Pension)
Full position description is available at Human Resources. Contact information below.
Operates a variety of road machinery, flags and performs miscellaneous labor in support of county road
maintenance, construction, and repair. This position is subject to call-outs or extended hours during storm
and/or emergency conditions and/or emergency response to a variety of road related occurrences. Crew
members are expected to be capable of working independently during normal work hours and during call-outs.
Examples of Duties
• Operates graders, brush cutters, backhoes, excavator, loaders, ditching equipment, and tractor booms.
• Conducts machinery, truck, and vehicle inspections and routine maintenance.
• Performs tasks common to road maintenance work such as: traffic control flagging, operation and
minor maintenance of road machinery, lifting and moving signs and barricades, asphalt patching,
brush cutting and removal, guardrail or fence repair, jetting of culverts and similar activities,
installing and adjusting tire chains.
• Respond effectively to public concerns.
• High school graduate or GED.
• Minimum of two years in heavy equipment operation and/or road construction & road maintenance (or
combination of experience and training).
• Ability to perform the physical requirements of this position including strenuous labor and exposure to
variable weather conditions.
• Ability to obtain a valid WA State Commercial Drivers License A with endorsement N for Tanker Trailers
within six (6) months of hire date.
• Ability to obtain a First-aid/CPR Card and a Flagger’s Card within sixty (60) days of hire date.
• Must pass pre-employment drug test.
Note: There is a six (6) month probationary period.
Application & Selection Process
Applicants are required to submit Mason County Application AND a Resume, Cover Letter and
provide a Driver Abstract. The completed application may include additional pages of employment history
using the application format. The completed application will be used as the primary document to determine if
minimum qualifications are met for this recruitment. Misrepresentation, incomplete, or inaccurate entries may
be the cause of application rejection, removal from the employment list, or discharge from county service.
Applicants will be screened base upon education and experience, and the top candidates will be scheduled for
interviews. Selection factors will include demonstrated knowledge and abilities for the particular position. This
selection process may be subject to change.
Return Applications to: Mason County Human Resources
Mailing Address - 411 North 5th Street, Shelton, WA 98584
Physical Address - 423 North 5th Street, Shelton, WA 98584
firstname.lastname@example.org Phone-(360) 427-9670 X 290 Fax-(360) 427-8439
Equal Opportunity - Affirmative Action Employer Drug Free Work Environment