Maintenance Worker ICity of Olympia
Maintenance Worker I
SALARY: $20.92 - $25.43 Hourly
JOB TYPE: Regular/Full-time
CLOSING DATE: September 29, 2017 by 5:00 p.m.
The Wastewater and Stormwater Operations Section, within Public Works seeks a self-motivated, hard working individual with good interpersonal skills to fill a vacant Maintenance Worker I position. This position will provide operation and maintenance assistance for both storm and waste water utilities within Water Resources. (THIS POSITION IS REPRESENTED BY THE AFSCME UNION)
Ideal Candidate Profile:
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
· One year stormwater or wastewater utility work experience. Other utility or work experience may be considered.
· Experience operating a vaccum/jetter truck is preferred.
· Ability to work and communicate effectively as a part of a team.
· Ability to use tact and good judgment in responding to questions from citizens and the general public.
· A positive "can do" attitude; takes the initiative to get the work done.
· Take direction well, fast learner, and good attitude.
· Adaptable to changing work environments.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills:
· The essential functions of this position include but are not limited to:
· The position is an entry-level position that performs general maintenance and repair of the City's utilities, which includes Wastewater and Storm and Surface Water.
· Performs basic maintenance at storm and wastewater facilities. This includes pruning, vegetation control, and litter removal, fertilizing and transplanting plants.
· Operation of hand tools and power tools including but not limited to; mowers, edgers, blowers, weed eaters, jackhammers, rotary hammers, whackers, drills, sawzaws, portable pumps, chop saws, and may be trained on other specialized equipment.
· May assist with operations and maintenance crews to perform basic duties.
· Punctual, regular and reliable attendance is essential for successful job performance.
· To be considered, all applicants must submit a resume and cover letter by attaching them to your electronic application.
· The cover letter is limited to two pages and should include specific examples of how you meet the Ideal Candidate Profile (above).
· This recruitment closes 5 pm September 29, 2017.
· Only electronic applications are accepted.
· One year's general work experience required.
· Experience in stormwater/wastewater preferred.
· Some positions may require the employee obtain special certification (such as Pesticide Applicators card or CDL) within timelines specified by the State of Washington or the City of Olympia.
This position will require a valid Washington State Drivers' License and Class A Commercial Driver's License with a tanker endorsement upon hire.